The Young & Persecuted
When I was younger and didn't quite know that adults didn't necessarily have all the answers, I encountered prejudice. Prejudice towards my hobbies: comicbooks, RPGs, Science Fiction and Fantasy Novels / TV / etc. I wish I could go back and have all the snappy remarks to their well-meaning but horribly uninformed comment. It's good to know I'm not alone though. Here are similar comments on successful comic book industry folks by their teachers taken from here.

BRIAN BENDIS, writer (everything)

My rabbi confiscated one of my text-books when he saw dozens of drawings of Namor- I was into Namor that year- that I had drawn into it.

Not knowing what Namor was and being pretty pissed off that I had ruined probably my fifteenth textbook, my rabbi publicly chastised me and then called my Mom to tell me that I clearly had homosexual tendencies because I was spending my day drawing naked wet men with wings on their feet.

I was really into dazzler too, does that make me BI?

BRYAN HITCH, window-gazer and excellent part-time artist

When Mr and Mrs Hitch went to St Cuthbert’s RC primary school for parent-teacher report night in the wind blown winter of 1979, Headmaster John "Paddy" Lett waved the three remaining fingers of his nicotine-stained right hand to dismiss their protestations of their son's supposed intelligence. "Yes, he may indeed have the highest reading age in the school and be capable of straight A grades, but it is clear to me," he waffled on undulating like a bin liner full of yoghurt "that Bryan will undoubtedly doodle his way into the dole queue."

FRANK QUITELY, window-gazer

St. Columbkille's primary and St bride's high (every single year):
"Easily distracted"

MARK MILLAR, frustrated artist

Mr Reilly – Maths Teacher – St Ambrose High School (1984): “Millar has decided it would be a wise move to be an idiot this year and prefers to court popularity by playing to the gallery than actually doing anything useful or constructive”

Mr Corr - English Teacher - St Ambrose High School (1985):
"No matter what I say, no matter what I do and no matter which child I sit him next to, Mark will not stop talking and concentrate on his work. This is a shame because, if he would only learn to keep his mouth shut, this boy might be capable of excellence"

No comments: