SILENCE & CHATTER
Forcing myself to write in my blog is a lot like trying to jumpstart conversations on strange subjects. I don't want to write about pedestrian stuff, just like I don't like talking about pedestrian stuff. I don't like discussions about the weather (unless the weather itself is unusual). Or traffic (unless there's a new wrinkle or solution), or something equally blah. It reminds me of the days when folks around me would chat about who was seeing who, who had a crush on who, who was devasted because she missed out on a sale or because some guy didn't like to wear the latest in fashion... high school. Grade School? Bleh.

But I do like telling stories and anecdotes. I like listening to little slice of life stories, the eccentric activities of my friends and family, the odd story from the newspaper. And I like telling people about them. Talking may be my vice. I remember that I once had to be given a double-shot of anaesthetic before my tonsils were taken out because I kept talking. I pity the fools who drug me up to "loosen my tongue". Muhahahaaaa!

And yet, when I'm reading I can be oblivious to the world and to a lot of people. I've pissed off quite a number of folks by continuing to read when they dropped by (and cut into my reading time). Rude, but I honestly didn't see what was wrong with it. Call it a deficiency in "emotional intelligence".

So I'm quite comfortable with silence, and quite comfortable with talking. I guess the trick is to make the former seem like I'm listening, and control the latter to keep things straight to the point, and yet mysterious and meaningful.

Ah, heck. I've never done mysterious well.

No comments: