THE DISTANT NORTH
Just got back from my trip to San Fernando, La Union for the Rang-Ay Bank annual stockholders meeting. It's really something of a reunion, though. Many of the stockholders are relatives, you see.

One of the things I really take from my trips there is seeing how my relatives move on with their lives; the decisions that they make, how they deal with their consequences, and the enduring acceptance of the family.

One of my older cousins is taking up nursing, and looking to get out of this country by October. One of my titos is doing the same thing, but is a bit further behind in studying nursing. Many folks who have been staunchly for the Philippines and for supporting the people of La Union and Ilocanos in general have been seriously considering sending their children out of the country for a better life.

I learned about how local government employees... supplement their income... from the gossip of my relatives. I watched one of my lolas struggle with being old - not just walking around, but remembering things from moment to moment. She sometimes remembers me right away, minutes later she can't remember my name or whose son I am.

One of my lolos still smokes regularly. At the age of 82, he goes up to La Union via bus to get his dividends, then heads back down to manila. He doesn't listen to all the folks who've told him to stop drinking and smoking - he says he's outlived too many of them. Besides, if you take his cigarettes and alcohol from him, what else is left for him to do? Every year enjoyed is a triumph at his age.

I look at all the development and wonder how the times will change La Union. Already there are plans for malls...

No comments: