MST3K and John Wick
I really enjoyed something I happened upon on www.rpg.net entitled MSTing John Wick.

For those of you who don't know, John Wick is a game designer who developed the rules and authored the Legend of the Five Rings RPG, and also authored the 7th Sea RPG. He also is strongly opinionated against the D&D 3rd Edition.

MST refers to Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K for short) a TV show that has its 3 hosts (currently a guy named Mike and two robots named Tom Servo and Crow) make fun of bad movies.

Here is where the two meet, and it's quite entertaining. What's being MiSTied is John Wick's rant on RPG.net about D&D3e.

Here's one of my favorite excerpts:
I was at the Berkeley show a few weeks ago, listening to everyone talk about it. The Hero guys told me, "Yeah. It's dressed up Hero." I heard the Chaosium guys say, "Yeah. It's just dressed up BRPS." I even heard someone say, "They just stole a bunch of ideas from Rolemaster."
Funny. No one said they stole anything from L5R or 7th Sea.

Tom: So, it bothers you because they stole from everybody except you?

(Maybe that's because there's nothing worth stealing from them? One never can tell.)
Its kinda like when every racial group in the world claimed the trade federation aliens in Episode One sounded like them. I heard Native Americans say it, I heard Chinese say it, I heard Japanese say it.
Funny. No one said they sounded Irish.

Mike: Because they didn't.

(Maybe that's because nobody wants to sound Irish? One never can tell.)
The fact of the matter is, D&D3 looks like a lot of different RPGs. There's just nothing new or innovative about it.

Tom: So it's okay for Shakespeare to steal everything he wrote, but not for Ryan Dancey.

No comments: