Chapter One: The Beginnings
As a result of the writing exercises, I've been re-reading the beginnings of some of my favorite short stories and novels (mostly Fantasy & Science Fiction)...

Here's one:

He was one hundred and seventy days dying and not yet dead. He fought for survival with the passion of a beast in a trap. He was delirious and rotting, but occasionally his primitive mind emerged from the burning nightmare of survival to something resembling sanity. Then he lifted his mute face to eternity and muttered: "What's a matta, me? Help, you goddamn gods! Help, is all."

Blasphemy came easy to him: it was half his speech, all his life. He had been raised in the gutter school of the twenty-fifth century and spoke nothing but the gutter tongue. Of all brutes in the world he was among the least valuable alive and most likely to survive. So he struggled and prayed in blasphemy; but occasionally his raveling mind leaped backward thirty years to his childhood and remembered a nursery jingle:

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation.
Deep space is my dwelling place
And death's my destination.

No comments: