Writing Exercise 1 - Description
As I recall it, the exercise was to write a vignette that describes and defines a character. However, the restriction was that it had to begin with the phrase: "Playing chess frightened her."

Writing Exercise 1 - Thinking Creatively
My initial thoughts immediately began running towards the next logical sentence that would follow. The vignette below is the one that I chose to go with.

However, being pilosopo, I reasoned that as a phrase "Playing chess frightened her" didn't have to end with a period. This led to other starting sentences like:
Playing chess frightened her two-headed dingo.
Playing chess frightened her a little.
Playing chess frightened Hernandez.


After slapping myself for these insanities, I began to wonder where I'd developed this annoying habit. I blame Mr. Carlos Aguilar, my 6th Grade HS teacher who always encouraged us to be creative. He encouraged 'thinking outside the box' before it became a profitable and career-saving corporate slogan.

Then again, my parents will attest to the fact that I've always been pilosopo so it's likely he only encouraged me.

No comments: